Inclement Weather Information
|Where can i find emergency information?|
On the Internet
On the Television
WSB-TV (Channel 2)
WAGA-TV (Channel 5)
WXIA-TV (Channel 11)
WGCL-TV (Channel 46)
On the Radio
WSB 750 AM & 95.5 FM
WYAY All News 106.7 FM
WABE 90.1 FM
How can I get emergency notifications?
I am the parent of a student. How can I get emergency notifications?
- If you have a student in the Cobb County School District, your information is ALREADY in our Automated Contact System and you will receive notifications by every means you have provided to your local school (landline, cell phone, text, email, etc.). However, it is critical that you make sure we have your most up-to-date numbers and addresses.
- Please contact your local school front office to verify or change your information in our system.
I am a CCSD employee. How can I get emergency notifications?
- If you are an employee of the Cobb County School District, your contact information is ALREADY in our Automated Contact System and you will receive notifications by every means you have provided to the Payroll Department. However, it is critical that we have your most up-to-date numbers and addresses.
- Please log in to the Employee Self Service Portal to change or update your information. .
I am NOT an employee and I am NOT a parent. Can I still get notifications from CCSD?
- At this time, we do not provide phone, text or email notifications to the general public.
- Please 'like" us on Facebook, "follow" us on Twitter, and bookmark our Web page to get the most up-to-date emergency info.
Inclement Weather Information
Current Weather Conditions in Cobb County
Current Atlanta Air Quality Index
WHO IS WATCHING THE WEATHER?
The superintendent and administrative staff carefully watch the weather conditions during seasons of possible inclement weather.
WHERE DO THEY GET THEIR INFORMATION?
Our school district staff listen to the weather forecasts. The director of transportation tests the road conditions on our bus routes beginning at 3:30-4 a.m. We also contact the local law enforcement about road conditions. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous bus routes in the district. So, even if it looks clear on your street, dangerous conditions may exist in other parts of our district.
WHAT FACTORS ARE CONSIDERED WHEN MAKING THE DECISION TO CLOSE SCHOOL?
The safety of all Cobb County children is our primary concern in making our decision. In deciding whether children will be safe, we look at the following factors:
- Information on road conditions from the director of transportation and from law enforcement, including whether roads are icy, flooded, or impassable;
- Time that precipitation begins to accumulate and the amount;
- Weather predictions;
- Building conditions (e.g., whether schools have power and heat);
- Parking lot conditions;
- Temperature and wind-chill.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The superintendent of schools is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors and recommendations from the district staff.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
The decision is made by 5:30 a.m., except in the situations when inclement weather may force school closings during the school day, so that radio and TV stations can be notified.
HOW IS THE PUBLIC NOTIFIED?
When the decision is made to close school, details will be posted immediately on the school district website and on social media such as Twitter and Facebook. Additionally, the District will begin notifying parents using the automated calling system. The District also provides closing information to local news media outlets.
WHAT IF SCHOOL CLOSES DURING THE DAY?
Parents should make sure that their child’s teacher has on file a written explanation of what the student should do in the event that school closes during the day. If school closes during the day all students will be sent home on their regular bus or daycare van unless other directions are on file. It is impossible for the school staff to accept phoned in directions under such circumstances.