Osborne High School
Volunteer Income Tax Center (VITA)
Please note this important information:
- Drop off appointment days will vary as needed.
- The school is CLOSED for winter break February 20-24.
- The school is CLOSED for spring break April 3-7.
- Tax preparation and filing of Federal and State returns is completely free.
Are you doing taxes this year?
We are, but we cannot do face-to-face appointments, as clients are not permitted in the school buildings. Tax prep will be drop-off and by appointment only.
Can I drop by the school to have my taxes prepared?
No, we do not, nor have we ever, offered drop-in service. We have always required appointments for any client service. Since we’re in a school, we have to maintain a very controlled environment.
How do I make an appointment?
Please use this Sign-up Genius link to schedule your drop off appointment.
What if I can’t find an appointment that works with my schedule?
Unfortunately, we can’t accommodate special times. There are a lot of logistical restrictions and this is the best we can offer. If you would like to discuss the option of an all-digital preparation, please email us at email@example.com.
What will happen at my appointment?
We will send you directions to the back parking lot. You will follow the signs and pull up along the curb. Please stay in your vehicle. Students will give you the necessary paperwork and a clipboard. You will complete the paperwork and leave your documents with us.
Do I have to come back?
You have two options.
Option #1 – You can return to the drop-off site when instructed and you will receive a printed copy of your tax return, as well as your original documents. We will also collect your signature on the e-file authorization form.
Option #2 – We can send you a digital copy of your return, as well as a link to electronically sign your e-file form. We can either scan your originals during drop-off OR, we can shred your documents for you. We recommend you give us copies if you plan to use this option. We do not mail documents EVER.
How long will it take to get my taxes done?
Turnaround time for returns is AVERAGING about 1 week but we ask that you PLEASE BE PATIENT. There are not many VITA sites in the area and we try to service as many clients as we can.
How long will it take to get my refund?
Will my tax return be prepared by high school students?
Yes, this program is run through a business class. The students are all trained and certified through the IRS tax preparation program. All returns are also carefully reviewed by one of the teachers, who are both advanced level tax preparers. The whole reason for the program is to teach students valuable, real-world skills and they are heavily supervised.
What if I’m uncomfortable allowing a high school student to do my tax return and want someone else to prepare it?
Unfortunately, with the volume we are experiencing this year, we don’t have the staff or the time to accommodate special requests. Your return will be carefully reviewed for accuracy by one of the site coordinators but the students will be doing the data entry. This program has been successfully staffed by students for over 20 years.
How long has this program been going?
The main site coordinator has over 20 years of experience running a VITA site as a high school program. The co-coordinator has11 years of experience in public tax, as well as 7 years of experience in the Osborne site.
Getting ready for your appointment (gather these documents):
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV)
- Form 1095-A Health Insurance Statements if you purchased marketplace insurance in 2022.
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Daycare information - total paid to provider, provider's tax ID number (EIN or SSN)
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Failure to bring certain documents can prohibit or delay the preparation of your return, so please check before you come to your appointment.
Please note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.