What is Advanced Placement (AP)? Advanced Placement courses are college level courses taught at the local high school. The College Board establishes the curriculum content and teachers adhere to specific guidelines to ensure a standardized process throughout the country. Students have an opportunity to take an exam in May to demonstrate mastery and potentially earn college credit. Not only can students earn college credit while in high school, AP courses teach students important skills that can lead to college success – how to read text critically, how to solve problems analytically, and how to write effectively.
WHY TAKE AP COURSES DURING HIGH SCHOOL?
There are many reasons to take AP courses while in high school. We have compiled a list of the reasons we feel are most important and beneficial to our students.
- Stand out in the competitive college admissions process
- Earn college credit while still in high school with supportive teachers you already know
- Save time and money once you get into college by moving directly into upper-level courses in your field of interest
- Experience college-level academics now while in the supportive high school environment
- Obtain extra quality points towards your GPA
- Take advantage of the opportunities to discover and pursue your academic passion
- Hear from our students and teachers about our AP program at Harrison
OUR AP COURSE OFFERINGS
We currently offer the following AP courses:
AP 2-D Art & Design
AP Art History
AP Calculus AB
AP Calculus BC
AP Capstone (click for flyer)
AP Comparative Government & Politics
AP English Language
AP English Literature
AP Environmental Science
AP European History
AP Human Geography
AP Music Theory
AP Physics 1
AP Physics 2
AP Spanish Language
AP United States Government/Politics
AP United States History
AP World History
We realize you may have additional questions about AP courses. Please take a moment to read more using the resources below. You may also contact our assistant principal and AP coordinator, Matt Staruch.
- Why AP?
- AP Exam Schedule
- Harrison AP Boot Camp 22-23
- College Board AP Central
- Cobb County School District Advanced Placement Information
- Colleges and Universities that Offer Credit or Placement for AP Scores